01 May 2011

Out of Body Experience

5/01/11 - DM: I am not my thoughts.

HUNGOVER! Greasy foods, water, and a nap. Also the return of anxiety and stress that were absent in my drunken blur last night. I spent a lot of today reflecting on the movie A Peaceful Warrior. One of the quotes I like is "The brain is a reaction organ, just like any other organ. People are not their thoughts."

4/30/11 - DM: Be Present.

Woke up after a terrible night of sleep to help out Brian at Rugged Fitness. Moved a whole bunch of weight and did a lot of manual labor. Not a workout really, but not a lazy day either. Had an amazing dinner prior to going out and getting absolutely rocked off of delicious Martinis and Rock Band. After dinner I had some sugar. I know, not in the deal, but I truly wanted chocolate. Not sweets, but specifically chocolate. The darker the better. Then I started thinking about why am I not doing sugar? I do eat more than I thought, but its far less than most. Easter brought me more chocolate than I can shake a stick at. So, from here on out, it moderation. If I crave chocolate, I have some. No other crap though. And not in massive quantities like any of us can and have done in the past.

The DM came from reflection to something said to me. They told me they had an out of body experience recently. As I thought about this, most of my meditation is about being in my body. Its about being aware of my tension and breathing and presence. I think most people live their life in an out of body experience. Most of the advances I have seen in clients are simply because they become aware of their body. And most successful and long standing practices of movement (yoga, tai chi, qiagong, most martial arts) create a huge space for self awareness and body control. I thought about this as I laid down for a nap and I could feel my tongue pushing the roof of my mouth and my right hip holding on tighter than it needs to. People would be healthier if they could spend only a few moments remember what it is like to be in their body. After all, you are your body. One in the same in reality, but often separated conceptually.

4/29/11 - DM: Perfection is not a goal.

I was able to work with my small group today. It was an interesting class and the room was hot. The major theme was just a lot of movement and a high heart rate. When class was done I continued with some jump rope, pullups, and then a lot of plank work on rings (which is stupid hard), pushups, and some good mornings. An excellent 1.5 hours of work. It was followed up by an awesome meditation in the hot tub. I realized that I am always trying to make things perfect, but perfect is just an idea, it can never be attained and is never achieved and can only be recognized and not created.

Small Group Class, 1.5 hours, end with push focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment